Graduate Certificate in Periodontics
The Graduate Program in Periodontology at Temple University’s Kornberg School of Dentistry provides qualified dentists with specialized clinical training and research-focused education in periodontology and oral implantology, with a particular emphasis on surgical oral implantology. Students will earn a graduate certificate in Periodontics and a simultaneous Master of Science in Oral Biology, which is a requirement of the program.
The rigorous 36-month, full-time postgraduate program prepares students for practice, teaching and research in periodontology and oral implantology. You will receive advanced education related to the attachment apparatus of the dentition, and the diseases and conditions that affect them. You’ll also study the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of those diseases.
Fully accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation, the Periodontology and Oral Implantology program’s curriculum comprises didactic coursework, which takes place primarily within the first year and integrates scientific periodontal and oral implantology literature with oral biology coursework. You will perform individual research and receive clinical instruction in Kornberg’s Graduate Clinic of Periodontology and Oral Implantology, gaining real-world experience with treating a diverse patient population.
The program’s emphasis on clinical patient care ensures competency in all areas of periodontal therapy including
- contemporary approaches to anti-infective periodontal chemotherapy;
- resective, regenerative and periodontal plastic surgical techniques;
- surgical oral implantology including guided surgery;
- advanced site preparation techniques;
- sinus lift augmentation surgery; and
- interpretation and use of cone beam computed tomography.
The Kornberg School of Dentistry is a highly sought, accredited institution located in the heart of Philadelphia. In addition to the unique opportunities that come with attending school in a large city, including visiting lecture series and an abundant and diverse patient pool, the postgraduate Periodontology program offers
- collaboration with a large DMD student population;
- extensive research opportunities;
- internationally recognized faculty;
- modern, spacious clinics; and
- the Oral Microbiology Testing Service Laboratory—one of only three state-licensed clinical periodontal microbiology reference labs in the U.S.
The Department of Periodontology and Oral Implantology faculty participate in research at the forefront of the field. Recent research studies include the evaluation of a chairside diagnostic strip for periodontal diagnosis and the association and management of oral osteonecrosis in patients taking systemic bisphosphonate medications. Learn more about current research at Kornberg.