Internships & Opportunities
The Sociology Internship Program provides a learning experience that unites the core concepts of sociology with community and organizational settings. The program also offers guidance to students as they transition into their professional lives.
Students who participate in the program are expected to serve an average of 10 hours per week in a local internship placement. Students must also attend class seminar meetings and complete weekly assignments. They may find their own internship placement or request placement assistance from the internship director.
During semesters when the Sociology Internship Seminar course is not offered, students have the option to take the internship seminar offered by the College of Liberal Arts.
To participate in the internship program, students must complete the online application (you must be logged in to your Temple account to access the application).
In the past, Sociology majors have secured internships with
- Center for Employment Opportunities,
- Congresswoman Allyson Schwartz,
- Girls Inc.,
- Pennsylvania Innocence Project,
- Philadelphia Magazine,
- the Please Touch Museum and
- the American Lung Association.
Questions about the internship program may be directed to
Dustin Kidd, associate professor of sociology.
The skills gained from a liberal arts degree are highly relevant in today’s rapidly evolving world. Apply the experience and knowledge acquired in the Sociology Major to your professional pursuits across many organizations and industries, including academics, cultural institutions, government agencies or the social sciences. The versatility of this program’s curriculum helps you graduate with valuable skill sets sought by many employers.
The Sociology BA prepares students for careers in many professional areas, including business, community planning, education, healthcare, law, market research, politics and social work. Recent graduates of the Sociology Department have advanced to the following roles.
- Associate at Towers Perrin
- Assistant prosecutor at the Hudson County Prosecutor’s Office
- Data manager at Clarifi
- Digital media coordinator at Love Beets
- Patient access representative at St. Luke’s University Health Network
- Program associate at Education Communities for Parenting
- Project manager at Sunshine Holdings
- Therapeutic staff support at Foundations Behavioral Health
- Teen education coordinator at Kingsbridge Heights Community Center
- Research analyst at the Philadelphia Workforce Investment Board